- Get acquainted with social media. Know it inside and out.
- Fix up your resume / LinkedIn with relevant experience both career & extracurricular.
- Find a mentor. Experience and insight can’t be googled.
- Keep up with the latest trends, in marketing, in pop culture, in business. If your niece or nephew know something topical and you don’t… that’s an issue.
- Understand how to measure marketing performance, KPI’s, OKR’s, CPC’s, CPM’s, & other metrics that businesses use to measure successes.
- Learn. Go to youtube, udemy, podcasts, audibles, read. Consume as much content as humanly possible.
- Google top marketing books. Read the first 5 that come up.
- Learn from the best. Gary Vaynerchuck, Seth Godin, Neil Patel, Eric Siu, Rand Fishkin.
If you go through this list, you’ll be more than prepared for your first (or second) marketing gig.
What else would you add to this list?