It’s really easy & non-technical, so don’t freak out.
Backlinks can be incredibly important when you’re trying to rank your website.
SEO — Traffic — Sales
It’s pretty straightforward.
Yet for some reason, it still seems confusing, ambiguous and when we hire that growth hacker on Fiverr to up our SEO game, we don’t really get what he’s doing.
Why can’t we just do it.. ourselves.
Well we can (this is what this article is all about).
SEO is largely based on backlinks — other reputable sites, linking back to your site.
SEO — Traffic — Sales
There’s a few other parts to SEO, but links are a significant portion.
For some, backlinks are the number one ranking factor for their websites.
If you employ some of these strategies, building high-quality backlinks to your website will not only be easy, but will significantly contribute to an increased search engine ranking, and in turn, an increase in organic traffic.
And bringing more visitors to your website is what search engine optimization (SEO) is all about!
Some backlinks are harder than others to find, but if they increase your traffic from the search engines, then surely, it’s worth the effort!
Try these 🔥 techniques to earn quality backlinks and get more visitors to your website:
- The broken-link building method. This method involves contacting a webmaster to report broken links on their website. While doing this, you suggest adding a link to your own website (given that it’s relevant).
- As you are helping the webmaster by finding this broken link, the chances of them replacing the link with your own or adding one of yours will be quite high.
- Look for quality websites in your field, so any added links will be from other experts in your industry, resulting in a high-quality link.
How do you actually do this? — Use this tool to check for broken links on any website in a few seconds.
2. The skyscraper technique. This method has three steps:
- Find a piece of content that has lots of links pointing to it.
- Create a piece of content that is better, or more valuable, than that one and publish it on your website.
- Contact those who link to the original piece and ask them if they would rather link to your higher quality piece of content, instead. Some will!
How do you actually do this? — This is pretty straightforward, just look for listicles in your niche.
3. Create an infographic. This is one of the more popular ways to build backlinks. The reason for this is that infographics are easy to understand and share.
- In order to do this, you will need to find an appropriate topic in your field, perhaps a trending topic, gather the data, and find someone to make this data visually appealing.
- Be sure to include links to your website in the infographic.
- Once the infographic is created, add it to your website and your social media accounts, where it will likely be shared.
How do you actually do this? — There’s a few tools you can use. I prefer Canva or Visme.
4. Write guest articles. When you create articles to place on other websites, you get to put your content in front of a new audience. This increases the exposure to your own website.
- This method is good not only for creating that important backlink but can also increase your own reputation and social media following.
How do you actually do this? — Here’s a list of 700+ sites that accept guest posts.
Here’s 200+ more.
5. Spy on your competitors. When you spy on your competitors, you’ll get a better idea of what content they’re creating and the backlinks that they’re building. You can then make (better) content on the same topics and acquire backlinks from many of the same websites that link to your competitor.
How do you actually do this? — Try Spyfu or Similar Web to get a ton of competitor data.
Here’s 17 more tools from the marketing guru Neil Patel if you don’t like the first two options.
6. Promote your content. Sometimes the best approach to building backlinks is to approach webmasters yourself via email.
- One easy way to gain a backlink is to find those that create weekly or monthly roundup posts. You can then email these people links to your best guides and ask them to add them to their latest roundup article.
- If you struggle to find the email address of the webmaster, check out their social media profiles. Also, LinkedIn is always a good place for professional contacts.
How do you actually do this? —This is somewhat niche specific, but if I were looking for social media roundups (for example), I would look for blogs like Crowdfire or ContentCal put out.
7. Write a testimonial. Many times, you can get a backlink in exchange for a testimonial. Make a list of any products you are using and contact the owner of the website that promotes this product. Offer to make a testimonial for their product as long as you can put a link to your website.
How do you actually do this? —Reach out to the support team of a product you like. There’s a good chance they’ll respond if you’re offering them free marketing material.
8. Donate to a nonprofit organization. It’s common practice for nonprofit organizations to include links to the websites of the businesses who donate to them. It is as simple as finding the organization, filling in the amount you wish to donate, and writing your URL.
How do you actually do this? — Use the list below to find some non-profits you can reach out to.
9. Get interviewed. Once you become known as an authority in your niche, you’ll find that others will come directly to you for an interview. Many will link to your website in their promo materials for the interview as well as in the interview itself.
- In the meantime, before others are coming to you, look for websites that are looking for interviewees. Contact them, telling them you wish to participate in the interviews and what knowledge you can contribute.
How do you actually do this? — List yourself on any of these 3 podcast booking sites and you’ll start to get some requests for interviews.
Building backlinks can be a challenge but using these strategies will almost certainly help you to build the quality backlinks you need to start ranking better and getting more eyeballs looking at your website! 👀